Posted on Thursday 15th November 2018
After an unsuccessful first attempt to burn thousands of tonnes of slash and logs deposited on
Tolaga Bay beach from the mid-winter floods, contractors returned late last month with a new plan.
They piled the logs higher and used a large fan to force air through the wood and successfully
managed to incinerate them.
The new plan worked so well, contractors will now stay on site and try to clear the beach of all
remaining debris before Christmas.
Victor Walker, Chairman of the Uawanui Governance Group helping to oversee the beach clean-up
told the Gisborne Herald that the solution to get the fire going had worked well, adding: “It was a
great burn, with very little emission.
“They have found a solution to ensure that the fire gets up to the intensity required to burn the
Hikurangi Forest Farms General Manager, Ian Brown, says it was a relief to “finally get this going….it
has been a long time coming.”
After the wood was found to be too wet in the first burn-off attempt, the piles were built differently to encourage more heat to evaporate the moisture and Mr Brown says “we will keep going as long as the weather is right.”
Authorities had agreed to the burn-off as the best way to deal with the issue, since it was deemed
uneconomic to transport it.
The Tolaga Bay debris burn-off gets under way.
2016 Allied Publications Ltd. All rights reserved.
Allied Publications Ltd
172B Marua Rd, Ellerslie, Auckland 1051
PO Box 112 062, Penrose, Auckland 1642
Phone: +64 9 571 3544.